Keep your Frisco TX Home Safe While You Are Away
Summer is upon us and kids will be getting out of school. Most family have travel plans. Some to fun destinations, others to visit family or relatives and some doing both. It doesn’t matter if you are gone for 1 week, 2 weeks or more, you need to make sure that your home is protected before you leave.
Some of the things that we can do to protect our home while we are away can be trivial.
1. Stop your mail. Contact your local post office and request that your mail be hold until you return. This will help your mailbox to not overflow which is an indication of no one is home to pick up your mail
2. If you cannot get your mail stop in time, ask your neighbor or friend to stop by to collect them.
3. We all get flyers or free newspaper being delivered to the front door. If you don’t have a Do Not Solicit sign, make sure to have someone pick them up. A bunch of uncollected newspaper or flyers indicates no one is home.
4. Get a timer for a few table lamps. Place the lamps in different location of your home. Set the timer to go on and off at different times. Maybe one in the master bedroom, one upstairs, one in the living room. This helps to make it seems like someone is home.
5. Turn off your water supply to your commode. Better be safe than sorry, just in case the water line decides to bust while you are not home.
6. Turn off your ringer of your home phone (if you have one). Don’t let others know that no one is home to answer phone calls.
7. Ask your neighbor to check on the house every so often. Maybe ask them to stay at your home for a few nights or pay someone to house sit.
8. Lastly, if you uses monitoring service, be sure to update them with you contact in case they need to reach you.
The last thing you want to come home from a nice family vacation is a home that was broken into. As much as you prepare for your vacation, make sure you also prepare to protect your home while you are away.